No products in the cart.
No Can Opener? No Problem!
The SHTF and you’ve come across a couple of canned goods while scavenging. Great news, right? The only thing lying between you and sustenance is a thin layer of metal… and you don’t have a can opener. As preppers it may be hard to imagine being caught off guard in such a way that you don’t even have the most basic essentials like a can opener in your bug out bag. However it can and will happen, remember, that’s why we prep. Let’s get on with it.
Opening a can without a can opener is not hard after you understand how the can is constructed. Present day canned goods are sealed by way of a roller which bends and then crimps the top of the can over the side walls, forming a, leak-proof, albeit thin seal. So all we have to do is break that crimped seal; not a challenging task with a little bit of concrete and friction. Watch the video below:[cleveryoutube video=”sbxKbI9Ik4o” vidstyle=”1″ pic=”” afterpic=”” width=”” quality=”inherit” starttime=”” endtime=”” caption=”” showexpander=”off” alignment=”left” newser=””]
Instructions for Opening a can without a can opener:
- Find a large flat rock or concrete slab (the rougher the surface the easier it will be to open the can)
- Place the can on the flat surface (upside down if preferred).
- Slide the can back and forth across your hard rough surface until moisture begins seeping from the can.
- The seal on the can has been broken, now just use your handy survival knife to finish prying the lid off.
- You’ve just opened a can without a can opener, add another notch to your prepper belt.